Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

Sewing With Rayon

I'm making it a goal to make a blouse from rayon.  I'd like this to be my next sewing project.  Do any of you have any tips or tricks you use when sewing with vintage rayon?  I'd appreciate any and all thoughts on the subject.  Do you cut your rayon with tissue underneath to avoid slipping?  Do you use a special needle?  Do you prewash?  Do you do anything special when sewing?

Thank you!!!  All tips and tricks welcome.

P.S.  has anyone done bound button holes on rayon or silks?  Boy, that sounds tricky!  I think I might skip this part of the blouse idea.



A big salute to rayon, until I become frustrated at the slippery nature:)


8 comments:

  1. I use spray starch - iron - and then cut and then sew using a fine point needle suitable for silks etc. it should not give you too much trouble . before I used the starch, I would have awful issues with straying grain etc. the only downside to the starch method is you have to wait till the end to rinse and get an idea of flow of garment but its only a small point. - I have not done bound buttonholes but have done bound pockets and no problem - I look forward to what you make as I have some silks here to make into tops but as they are so flow-ey, I have yet to find the right pattern

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you find it too slippery, try cutting it one layer at a time. It takes longer but the pieces come out nicer. I haven't done bound button holes or anything fancy on rayon but I have on silk so it can be done. Make sure you finish your seams well because most rayons will fray like crazy. I like to bind them in bias tape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies for these tips!! Very much appreciated! The starch idea is a great idea to start it out with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any advice to give, but good luck! I love the way rayon rustles and flows, so I hope your blouse turns out well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck, my darling friend! I'm excited to see the fabric that you bought have a sneaking suspicion that it's a fabulous novelty print.

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am working on a rayon blouse right now and have not had do any special treatments at all. I did pin the pattern quite well to avoid slippage, and French seamed the side seams and sleeve seams because it does unravel on unfinished edges, but overall, it has been easy to work with. I love its hand, and am wondering why we don't use it more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love rayon but for me it is difficult to find, I have done four blouses with rayon and I prefer french seams

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't sew but boy do I love dresses made of rayon so comfy and easy to delint for the pet owner like me

    retro rover

    ReplyDelete